Friday 23 November 2012

The Daily Bread #13 - Call The Midwife, Apparently



Dress - ASOS
Jumper - Lindex
Brogues - Unknown Swedish 

Today, my mother and cousin arrived for a weekend of festive fun in Sweden and since their arrival, they have done little except mock me for looking like an extra from recent BBC drama Call The Midwife.  Pssht.  Apparently it was the combination of jumper/collar, swingy mac and very sensible black brogues.  I'm not going to lie - I don't really find any of this particularly insulting.  Take me back to the fifties any day.

I must admit though, the shoes do look slightly like they were acquired via an orthopaedic prescription.  I bought them yesterday on a desperate hunt for anything flat-ish and lace up, after the contents of Big Foot's shoe collection was delivered on Wednesday.  I couldn't find anything that I loved and I wasn't really willing to part money for mediocre (either my student brain or my middle aged one finally engaging) so when I saw these reduced to 99sek, about £9, I thought they'd do as a filler shoe, until I fell in love again.  It got even better when I took them to the till and the sales assistant informed me that it was buy one, get one half price, and off I trotted to find a second pair.  I found a pair of quite nice black heels, also in the sale, so ended up with 698sek worth of shoes for 148sek which I'm not complaining about at all, even if they are more suited to the doctor's office...


I must stop rambling about the embarrassments of today's outfit though and please let's discuss the dress instead.  Jeez.  It came in the Big Foot parcel from ASOS and probably made up for my footwear disappointments.  I ordered it on a whim, as I saw it was reduced to £20 and I'm a big fan of toile style prints (as you can tell by duvet set featured here).  I was pretty chuffed when it came.  Whilst it's more of a summer dress, with a really exciting shape to the shoulder area, I also love it styled for autumn with a jumper like this, and I think the monochrome colouring stop it being too unseasonal.  It won extra brownie points because dresses never fit me properly - disproportionate boob:hip ratio, with the former coming out on top - but this does up all the way to the top without a single gape and also fits perfectly on my waist.  Bravo ASOS, bravo.

As predicted, today has been full of festive fun already.  We browsed the Christmas sections of pretty much every store in Gothenburg, wandered until dark in order to appreciate the lights and then had Glogg, a Swedish mulled wine type affair, with our risotto.  Beth and my mum have both fallen asleep now (they blame the early flight for this antisocial bedtime; I blame the Glogg) so I thought I'd type a little post for you.

Talking of Christmas, something which I won't stop doing until January, I received an email from Vicki (A Life of Geekery) this week containing details for bloggers Secret Santa which is VERY exciting.  Christmas really is a-coming, hoorah!

With good tidings and weekend wishes,
Elise.

P.S. After many occasions of having problems with no light, I took my pictures really early today and found there was too much.  Oops!



13 comments:

  1. OMG! I love it! totally adorable.. I have the same shoes in camel....! They go with so many things. This is one of my favorite outfits you've put up recently! I like how the red sweater pops the whole thing and its so layered. You're so good :) Have a fabulous weekend! btw..I'm editing a video right now..I'll let ya know when its up..I think you'll like it..its about my 'flat shoe' collection! ;) - xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. On other great outfit. but the bottles are hone :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your jumper! Great post xx

    http://www.stylein2ition.blogspot.co.uk/p/links.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice outfit :)
    And you're soooooooooooooo cute ^_^
    I just found you and immediately became member! I would really appreciate it if you'll visit my blog back here ->http://dtmakeupgirl.blogspot.gr/
    Kisseeeeeeeees :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same oxford shoes and I'm in love with them! Love the layering with your red sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your outfit! The dress has such a cute print and I love the shoes (I don't think they are orthopaedic prescription-y)! The jumper is such a lovely colour on you as well :)
    http://shopaholiconashoestring.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi thank you for your IFB and GFC. iam following you as well since your blog is great and i love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't take looking like someone from Call the Midwife as an insult either!! Got to love a bit of Miranda :) I love this dress and jumper combination! I've had my eye on a few similar prints recently too, so cute! There's one in the designer boutique I intern in which I just can't afford :'( Just noticed how well you're doing follower-wise after we started blogging around the same time, amazing!! Keep it up :) Also, you have such a picturesque little outfit photo spot! I'm jealous. Much love xxx
    http://fashionsings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lovee wearing jumpers over collar dresses! Especially in autumn as it means my summer dresses get another season to be worn :)

    Aimée Xx
    dress-it-up-6.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful outfit and pictures! I love your dress :-)

    xoxo The Daily Fashion Drug

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the print on the dress...and that jumper=cute

    ReplyDelete
  12. This outfit really is so pretty!! You look lovely!

    Stacey xxx

    http://prettydelicatelayers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete