Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Back to School


Dress  - Topshop
Blouse - H&M
Satchel - Warehouse
Necklace - Accessorize 
Brogues - Unknown Swedish

I've got to admit that I don't have a whole lot to tell you about this outfit, except that I felt a lot like I was heading back to school whilst wearing it.  I'm sure you can see where that feeling came from - the satchel, the brogues, the shirt, the skirt (/dress - shhh), the bun.  All together, if I'd added a tie, I could have easily sat myself down in an exam hall and not looked an inch out of place, although I'm sure somebody would have told me off for the tied shirt.

Speaking of which, I don't think I've knotted the tails of a shirt since 2010.  It was a look that I used to quite like but I think I went off the whole idea when New Look and Dorothy Perkins introduced a ghastly range of t shirts with ready to tie hems.  I'm a little opposed to pre-made anything at the best of times - layers, rips, etc,  I think it just completely contradicts the whole vibe that is at the heart of such looks - but on too thin jersey, cut so the tie sat at an unflattering point of the abdomen which cupped any excess stomach you were sporting?  Just no high street, just no.  

Here we are though, three years later, and getting dressed this morning I suddenly found my hands fumbling to craft the perfect fisherman's knot before I even kew what was happening.  I think I kind of like it though; it adds a hint of St Trinian's to my otherwise wholly Malory Towers get up (please say I'm not the only one who grew up on a diet of Enid Blyton tales?) and, somewhat inexplicably, made me feel a little Byker Grove too.  Now, don't ask me to supply any kind of logic to go with that reference as it comes with neither rhyme nor reason.  I certainly have no recollection of ever seeing tied shirt tails on the show, but I just have an inkling that in between youth club rivalry and dabbles in teenage pregnancy, the Byker Grove best wouldn't have been stopping to button the bottom half of their shirts.  Call me crazy, but that's just how things were today.

Now, before I put a stop to this incoherent dribble to which I am subjecting you today, I'd really appreciate a little feedback from anybody reading this.  What are your feelings on the text/picture placements in blog posts?  Do you like pictures placed all together at the beginning, all at the end, or half and half?  Do you like the text in one block, or the paragraphs alternated with pictures?  I think I've tried pretty much all of the above at one point or another, most regularly opting for a picture-text-pictures routine, but I just can't make my mind up.  Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Monday,
Elise.






19 comments:

  1. I love your style! that necklace is also amazing :)

    check out my blog, if you have the time?
    http://georgialouisee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw it's such a cute little outfit Elise! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this look!

    http://iamcollecting.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so cute! I love your satchel and necklace x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This outfit is so cute, you look lovely! Esp love the color of the skirt and the satchel! I have to agree though, I've been seeing the tied knot trend a lot lately in store displays!

    xx PH
    www.petitehues.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is definitely an outfit i would wear!

    http://discoveredfashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely outfit! I love your shoes and the pop of blue!

    Also thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, you also have a great blog and I'll be following! :)

    http://erstwhilefelicity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit is just perfect! Love your shoes and skirt:) xx

    http://crystalcosmicchic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're adorable , beautiful outfit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute and flirty outfit! I just came across your blog and I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & if you like, following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great outfit! Love the vibrant colour of the skirt and the shoes are fantastic :) As for blog layouts, I like how you've done it in this post, with pictures and texts interspersed and alternating (text, photo, text, photo, etc.). That's how I organize my posts as well; prevents the amount of text and/or photos from looking overwhelming :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is gorgeous!
    And I love how you're wearing it as a skirt..

    by the way I like the room behind you, exactly how I'd decorate my living room if my husband wasn't so fussy

    http://www.candyliquor.co.uk
    UK High Street Fashion
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That blue is such a lovely shade! I'm with you on the pre-made stuff, those jumpers you can get with the fake collars make me shudder.... You, however, look perfectly put together! ♥ Claire at Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pretty certain that I've read every single Enid Blyton book ever. Malory Towers and St Clare's were my favourites! Became obsessed with the whole idea of going to boarding school for ages haha.
    Love this outfit - and I know what you mean about those thin jersey tie tops, I bought a blue one from New Look once, and it was awkwardly cut and then the tie just flopped down and it looked quite a lot like a smurf penis. Which is not quite what I was going for. x
    that-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is so pretty and I love your satchel as well, you look gorgeous!

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always place my pictures after the text, when I'm done talking.


    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Elise, I loved Enid Blyton, but more the younger fairy stories....I never graduated to Mallory Towers etc! Blog layout works perfectly, well balanced. Love the way you adapted your dress into a skirt, I admire the way you get extra wear out of your garments :) I am contacting all the blogs I follow on GFC, and adding them onto Bloglovin, so I can keep in touch when GFC is phased out. Have followed you on Bloglovin now, would be lovely if you could do the same? Thanks xo
    http://modemadeleine.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great outfit :) Love the skirt x


    www.ofbeautyandnothingness.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. First blog post i've read the entire way through, in a awhile, without getting bored at any point whatsoever! You have a really great writing style (hope you don't mind me saying so!) Your outfit is super lovely too! :) xx

    ReplyDelete